Pinion bearing from hell HELP!!

Moderator: Moderators

Pinion bearing from hell HELP!!

Postby spyderbo » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:48 pm

Grenaded the ring gear and pinion (229's) on my 77 Monza 3 years ago, ordered a set of 3.42's from jdrace.com, the car has been sitting up til now (I know), anyway, the kit came with everything I needed, problem is the inner pinion bearing is to large for the pinion, any idea what bearing I need? the front bearing was fine. I would have thought the factory bearing 3.75 ID. would have been right, it's too big. I wonder if they sent me the wrong pinion? it's been so long now, I am really at a loss.
spyderbo

Re: Pinion bearing from hell HELP!!

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:58 pm

Jim from JD race is a member here and on all the time. Your best bet is to contact him and I am sure he can help you out.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby spyderbo » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:33 pm

Ok, Thanks will do.
spyderbo

Postby 76wagon » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:49 pm

When I did mine I used a special bearing from Timken. According to the guy's computer the bearing and race weren't even supposed to work together but it worked great. The other option is to have your pinion gear machined to fit the Monza bearing. I think the part #s for the bearing and race are in the faq section. If you want I could see if I still have the reciept for the bearing I used and get the part #s.

Phill
76wagon

Postby spyderbo » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:37 pm

Hey Phill, Thanks for the info, Not sure how they would machine the pinion gear when it appears to be to small for the factory bearing. I have looked for the numbers for the bearing to no avail, so if you could come up with them I could be a step closer to getting this baby back on the road. Thanks Bo
spyderbo

Postby monzaz » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:57 pm

spyderbo wrote:Hey Phill, Thanks for the info, Not sure how they would machine the pinion gear when it appears to be to small for the factory bearing. I have looked for the numbers for the bearing to no avail, so if you could come up with them I could be a step closer to getting this baby back on the road. Thanks Bo

If you smoked the ring and pinion in the rear the bearing probably spun and now just slips onto the shaft. Try a new HM88649 and the matching race is HM88610.

Outer bearing is the same for ALL 7.5 rears. Is the pinion 27 spline? or 25 spline on the 3.42.

When did you purchase this and where from ebay here or other?
J D Race & Restoration
Richfield, Oh
JDRACE.COM
monzaz

Postby spyderbo » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:36 pm

What i have is what JD sent me, none of the original gears are available, they were trashed. I am working with new parts that I purchased from the rear end place. The bearings I am trying to install on the new pinion are the HM88649 and HM88610, they are to big for the NEW pinion. *headache*
spyderbo

Postby monzaz » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:04 pm

Need to measure that shaft. Do you have calipers. When did you buy the ring and pinion. Jim

How many splines are on the pinion shaft 25 or 27?
Post some pictures please of the pinion. Jim
J D Race & Restoration
Richfield, Oh
JDRACE.COM
monzaz

Postby spyderbo » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:12 pm

Bought them 12/2010, been in the shipping box since then. will get a measurement and pics. thanks soooo much for the help. Bo
spyderbo

Postby 76wagon » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:24 pm

Sounds like you might have a Monza gear set and bearings for a standard 7.5" 10-bolt rear. The outer pinion bearing on the Monza/ Vega rear end was smaller because of the torque arm mount. If that's the case all you'd need would be a pinion bearing for a Monza rear end. I had the opposite problem- standard bearing would fit the gear but not the housing.

Phill
76wagon

Postby garysol1 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:41 pm

76wagon wrote:Sounds like you might have a Monza gear set and bearings for a standard 7.5" 10-bolt rear. The outer pinion bearing on the Monza/ Vega rear end was smaller because of the torque arm mount. If that's the case all you'd need would be a pinion bearing for a Monza rear end. I had the opposite problem- standard bearing would fit the gear but not the housing.

Phill

I learned something new today...
garysol1

Postby monzaz » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:46 pm

76wagon wrote:Sounds like you might have a Monza gear set and bearings for a standard 7.5" 10-bolt rear. The outer pinion bearing on the Monza/ Vega rear end was smaller because of the torque arm mount. If that's the case all you'd need would be a pinion bearing for a Monza rear end. I had the opposite problem- standard bearing would fit the gear but not the housing.

Phill

Phil, He said he was using the Monza HM88649 and HM88610 bearing and race. He said this bearing was too Big. If that is the case the machine work took too much off the pinion shaft OR the bearing is out of spec too large ID This is what we now need to measure the shaft in thousands of inches OD of the pinion 1.375 1.376 and the bearing ID same or smaller.

I am pretty sure this is what we are dealing with. HOW loose is the bearing on the shaft of our pinion?
J D Race & Restoration
Richfield, Oh
JDRACE.COM
monzaz

Postby cammerjeff » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:21 am

monzaz wrote:

Phill

Phil, He said he was using the Monza HM88649 and HM88610 bearing and race. He said this bearing was too Big. If that is the case the machine work took too much off the pinion shaft OR the bearing is out of spec too large ID This is what we now need to measure the shaft in thousands of inches OD of the pinion 1.375 1.376 and the bearing ID same or smaller.

I am pretty sure this is what we are dealing with. HOW loose is the bearing on the shaft of our pinion?

You are probably right about this of course, but are we sure he bought a 7.5" ring and Pinion and not a 6.5"? Just a thought.
Jeff R

1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer
77 Astre Formula, some day soon powered by a 215 Buick V-8
1973 4-speed Lemans Safari STOCK!!!!! 1978 Catalina Safari
2006 Mallet Solstice, 6.0 LS2, 6-speed manual
2009 Solstice Coupe, 2.4, 5-speed Manual
cammerjeff

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari Wagon

Postby monzaz » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:15 am

That is what the pictures are for BUT we do not sell 6.5 gears - At least not in the 3.42 ratio. :) JIm
J D Race & Restoration
Richfield, Oh
JDRACE.COM
monzaz

Postby spyderbo » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:00 pm

the problem was a boxed wrong set of bearings, now i have a new set of problems, the original carrier has been misplaced and the carrier i thought was the original will not adjust enough to work. so it looks like I am gonna have to find a carrier. thanks for all your help, I can always count on guys to know what's up. Bo
spyderbo

Next

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech